11.12.06

A friend sent me this quote this morning....

"Washing your hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."
- Paulo Freire (Brazilian educator who was into liberation theology and promoted literacy when you had to be able to read to vote in Brazil.)

I am often passive... hoping that my few actions will cover me for all my inaction. But it deosn't work like this....It is about living a wholistic life where every moment is one of siding with the powerless. Every conversation, every thing I hear and see, every feeling.

But I'm so lazy... I can't be bothered to persue the Christian radio station that mocks non-English speakers in one of it's ads, besides their number isn't in the Yellow Pages. I can't be bothered to get everyone mad at me at morning tea by saying some truth that sounds obtuse. I can't be bothered to write the letter I should have written months ago, and I'd rather forget- just for one tiny weeny moment this morning- that I only drink Fair Trade Coffee, because there are no Fair Trade Cafe's around here and we are all meant to be going out for a cup to say our Farewell's to each other.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

Why've you turned into Tim? Steve and I have started to take on eachothers characteristics the longer we've been married - you know, using eachothers words, our interests are becoming more similar but your transformation is fairly complete. Weird.

lucy ar said...

Grr, beta blogger has mixed up our accounts, scallywags.

Peter said...

As far as the pacisfism thing. A real pacifist is willing to lie down and die in front of a tank for another human life. Then there are millions of others who mistake pacifism for their own personal safety...

just a thought, and thanks for the post.

Peter Lublink
www.lublink.ca

ps- came to your blog via someone's blogroll...